Sunday, October 10, 2010

Old Friends

What is it about the comfort of an old book? One that you have read a million times, and where you know exactly what will happen to a beloved hero or heroine.

I find that I go back to my comfort books on alarmingly regular occasions. When I have had too much of the real world, when work gets too hard, when I am feeling sad or a little lonely. I know at these times all my old friends will always be there for me.

From the traditional, Pride and Prejudice and the childish, Harry Potter series. To the thrilling, Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva, and the serious Until I Find You by John Irving. And finally to my trusty collection of romantic novels, The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, anything by Marion Keyes and the hilariously silly The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig.

I wonder sometimes if I should try and find some new friends, and I'm sure in the future more will come along. But for now, I know I'll never be lonely when I have them to keep me company.

2 comments:

  1. There's nothing quite like the comfort of good old friends. When i was younger my comfort books were the old man and the sea, the hatchet series and Huckleberry Finn. Now i don't have time to re-read books as there's just so much that I haven't read. Dan Millman's the peaceful warrior would probably be first to read again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it took so long to get your comment up Hungry Boy, my notification system seems not to have worked properly!

    I know what you mean with so many new books to get through, I have been trying to be really good this year to only read new things. I was given a Kindle for Christmas, which has helped this along loads! Particularly as Amazon so helpfully suggests things I would like from what I have already brought...fantastic, but dangerous!

    ReplyDelete